Tuesday 15 March 2011

Correnti cigars

Has anybody heard of Correnti Cigars? Well, neither had I until a friend of my gf's Lisa recommended a visit to their local factory in Toronto, 606 King Street.


DSC_1643

I can guarantee it was quite a surprise to find out that in the centre of Toronto one could find a producer of 100% Cuban tobacco cigars. The family-owned business, in fact, imports tobacco from Cuba and then hand-roll cigars in Toronto. They are - or so the website claims - the exclusive importer of Cuban raw leaves.

The factory has got a lot of character and it reminded me of an old shop you may only see in the movies. A lot of space is taken by the traditional cuban-rollers tables - see picture below

DSC_1641

When I walked in - probably looking as happy as kid on Christmas day - I started to enquiry about the history of the company (for the curious amongst you, you can get more details here) and the type of cigars available. They produce a variety of sizes (like traditional robusto, torpedos, churchills) also in a maduro (aged) selection. It's even possible to sample the cigars in the lounge...

DSC_1647

I bought a few Correnti cigars and so far only smoked one. The verdict is still open I think - I found the cigar very mild and probably not as tight as most other hand-rolled - the flavour remind me almost of a non-cuban (probably not surprising given that they  cater to the North-American market).

A few boxes by the entrance, will give an idea  of all the goods available to who decides to visit the shop/factory...

DSC_1651

So, if you pass by King and Portland Street in Toronto, look for the sign below (by the way, it's very close to a very good place to eat nice Italian food, Buca) and pay a visit! They can personalise cigars, allowing aficionados to create their own private label (and choose the blend) even just for a particular event.

DSC_1652

1 comment:

  1. I said last night all of the factors that play was and is still active and only now but more than that. Where before we oversold and we are so far more than the height of the sale.


    davidoff

    ReplyDelete