Saturday 10 July 2010

V° Encuentro Amigos De Partagas En Italia - part 1

I have been living in London for over 10 years now (with some break in the middle) so didn't realise until recently that right next to my hometown in central Italy, Fabriano, there was a group of great cigar lovers that founded the Cigar Club Matelica Don Alejandro Robaina (no, Matelica is not a rock band, but just another small town in Central Italy). Between June 25th-27th they organised an amazing cigar event, the Encuentro Amigos De Partagas. I couldn't miss it, being so close to Fabriano...


The first part of the event was a sampling of special cigars from a humidour containing puros hand-rolled by La China, which I learned is one of the best torcedores in the world together with Cueto, another special guest at the event... Both are with me in the below picture


IMG00083-20100626-1551


Going back to the first cigar I sampled from the special humidour, the first point to note is the top, which was basically closed with a small "flower" made of tobacco.


IMG00068-20100625-1733


IMG00065-20100625-1732


To smoke it, full picture above, I just took the flower out of the base. This cigar is a Ideales Flor de La China, and the Honorary President of the Cigar Club Association Luigi Ferri and Angelo Bigi explained how the cigar is basically perfect as a morning smoke, being a relatively small gage which needs to be sampled in meditation, being careful not to draw it too strongly as it could otherwise get burned. I got lot of spice out of this cigar. The sampling was accompanied by two grappa from the Distilleria Segnana.


After the sampling, my brother Marco, his wife Anna, my friend Alessandro and I attended the welcome dinner (Cena di Benvenida). The menu -shown below - included a sample of local cuisine (lasagne - or vincisgrassi - big torterllini - or cappellacci - and pork loin - arista)


IMG00073-20100625-2100


The dinner was also the occasion to launch in Italy the Partagas Serie D Especial, the new limited edition which was also included as part of Ajay's cigars goodie bag (see my old post). Well, what can I say. This cigar was a great complement to the evening. Quite similar in taste to the D1, I think, full and peppery but smooth throughout and with a touch of cream. I can see this as being well worth a box purchase...

1 comment:

  1. Apologies to who left comments but I cancelled them by mistake... pls continue to comment :)

    ReplyDelete